Social Media Buttons

Blank


Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens [Book Thoughts]

A Christmas Carol is a story worth knowing about but, in my opinion, it hasn't aged as well as many of the other classics.
-Imran

--------------------


A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens



Charles Dickens is a legendary storyteller who’s written some of the most renowned novels in English fiction history; but I just can’t seem to enjoy his writing. His story, characters and narrative I can admire but when it comes to the writing itself, it just doesn't captivate me. Perhaps it could be that his style hasn't aged well but I find his language puffy and some of his descriptions hard to follow at times. Oliver Twist, I never really got into making A Christmas Carol the first story of his that I've actually finished.

And A Christmas Carol is certainly a great story; it’s one of those that are so well-known that many don’t even know they’re familiar with it. It’s the archetypal tale of redemption: a lonely, miserly and bitter old businessman named Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by three ghosts on Christmas Eve who show him his life for what it really is and what it could become if he keeps on his current path. In the 100 or so pages we take a tour through the bright and dark sides of people and into Scrooge’s own character.

It suppose it's also good reading for children because it tackles an emotionally complex topic in a simple and straightforward manner and aspects of Scrooge can probably be related to yourself or people you know. But, again it’s the language I take issue with: I feel that the book is probably too difficult reading for most young children.

And that brings me once again to the conflict I have with Dickens and his writing. Fantastic story but not something that I actually enjoyed reading. Unless you’re a completionist or someone who quite takes to Dickens’s writing, I can’t give it a glowing recommendation.

A Christmas Carol is a story worth knowing about but, in my opinion, it hasn't aged as well as many of the other classics.

See you next week

No comments:

Post a Comment