Social Media Buttons

Blank


Sunday, August 18, 2013

Fold by Tom Campbell [Book Thoughts]

Fold couldn't keep me invested past the first 10 pages. The characters seemed wimpy and irritating.
-Imran

--------------------


Fold by Tom Campbell



I would hardly call the method by which I select books 'scientific'. When I go to sales, I pretty much just pick books at random, often with no clue what they're about, because (A) I know the author or (B) I've heard admiration for the book before or (C) something about it just interests me. This might seem like a careless strategy but it's actually introduced me to some of the best books I've read thus far, including The Prince, Dorian Gray, Frankenstein, Beatrice and Virgil and many others. It's not that I buy any old crap, but giving books I otherwise would not have a read a chance has had massive payoffs for me. But of course, even convex randomness is exposed to downsides: this happens to be one of those downsides.

I picked up Fold at the Warehouse Sale because the cover caught my eye and a quick scan across the back misled me into believing it was interesting. I figured it might have some insights into the game of Poker and some interesting characters set in the extreme world of gambling. No, instead it's a book about five lovable losers (I highly contest the 'lovable' part) who meet on weekends to play Poker and have the usual 'relatable' soap-opera style problems in their lives. I can't tell you any more than that because I stopped reading about 10 pages in because it simply failed to captivate me (If you're an avid reader, 10 pages is usually enough to give an indicator of quality). I didn't particularly enjoy the writing and I found the characters either wimpy or irritating.

Seeing as I have so much else to read, I'm probably not going back to this one. So that means I'm giving it away. If you want it: post a comment below saying that you do. 24 hours after this Blog post, I'll pick someone at random and if you follow me on Twitter,  follow my Blog via e-mail and Google Connect and live in South Africa, it's yours. I offer no further comment on the book, if you're interested, read the back of it below.

Fold couldn't keep me invested past the first 10 pages. The characters seemed wimpy and irritating.

EDIT: The Giveaway is closed, the winner of the book is Renton Davy. Congratulations!

See you next week


No comments:

Post a Comment